by johnah on November 13, 2020
The following are some tips on how to prune a rubber tree:
1) When you have a rubber tree, it’s best if you don’t cut off its branches completely.
You want to leave enough branches so that they can still produce new growth when needed. If your branch becomes too long or thick, then just trim it down with a sharp knife.
2) If you do decide to remove all the branches from your rubber tree, make sure you keep at least one branch left for support.
Otherwise, it may topple over during heavy rains.
3) There are two ways to prune a rubber tree: You can either use a saw or chopsticks.
Both methods work equally well and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Chopping with a saw is easier because you only need to chop away at the trunk, leaving only the topmost part of the tree intact. Chipping with a stick requires you to dig into the ground and chop out small sections at different points along each branch.
4) Once again, there are pros and cons to both methods.
5) Chopping: This method is good for you if you are impatient and do not wish to wait around for your tree to regenerate from the stumps.
The chips left over can be used as a mulch to help the soil.
6) Chipping: This is good if you do not want to deal with leftover debris.
This method also helps aerate the roots of your rubber tree. The main disadvantage, however, is that it takes a lot longer to complete.
Sources & references used in this article:
Competition within the root system of rubber seedlings (Hevea brasiliensis) studied by root pruning and blockage by P Thaler, L Pagès – Journal of experimental botany, 1997 – academic.oup.com
Influence of host resistance and phenology on South American leaf blight of the rubber tree with special consideration of temporal dynamics by J Guyot, C Cilas, I Sache – European Journal of Plant Pathology, 2008 – Springer
Rubber Indusrty of West Africa by RM Warner – Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science, 1944 – scholarworks.uni.edu
Revaluing of terminal bud Pruning on Young Rubber Trees by X Guishui, H Yuanfang – gremialdehuleros.org