Composting with children is a great idea because it helps them learn about nature and environment. They will enjoy doing these activities together. There are many ways to do composting with kids, but there are some basic rules that must be followed carefully. You have to make sure that they don’t get hurt while playing or while working on the garden.
The following article provides a list of the most common things that need to be done when composting with kids. These are the basics, so if you want to add something else, just do it!
1) Make sure that all the materials used for composting are safe for children.
If they’re not, then they won’t be able to play safely and will get injured or even die from toxic fumes. Also make sure that everything is cleaned up properly after using it.
2) When composting with kids, make sure that they aren’t exposed to any dangerous chemicals.
The same goes for poisonous substances like poison ivy. You may use bleach, vinegar, or other household cleaners to clean up the messes. But remember that the fumes might cause problems for your children’s health. So always take precautions before using such products.
3) Always keep the containers clean and free of dirt and dust particles.
This will prevent any diseases or insects from spreading to the garden. Also, make sure that the children wash their hands before eating anything or touching their eyes, ears, or noses.
4) Protect your garden from animals that might want to eat the plants or spread their own seeds there.
You can put up a fence to keep them away.
5) Make sure to add materials slowly and steadily instead of all at once, so that everything will have time to decompose properly.
Sources & references used in this article:
… : How to Set Up and Maintain a Worm Composting System: Compost Food Waste, Produce Fertilizer for Houseplants and Garden, and Educate Your Kids and … by M Appelhof, J Olszewski – 2017 – books.google.com
Classrooms are going green: How green classrooms are reconnecting kids with nature. by S Cleaver – Instructor, 2007 – ERIC
The Rodale book of composting: easy methods for every gardener by DL Martin, G Gershuny – 1992 – books.google.com
Composting With Children by P Ashbrook – Science and Children, 2016 – search.proquest.com
Summary of a case study about an on-going educational innovation–Compost Day by A Nagy – galga-nfi.info.hu
3. Primary Schools Composting on the Greek Island of Samothraki: A Case Study by E Bergler, B Fleischmann, K Huda… – 6th Summer School on …, 2019 – boku.ac.at