Tangerine Tree Care – How To Grow Tangerines:

The tangerine tree is one of the most popular fruits in the world. It is a tropical fruit with small greenish blue seeds that are very sweet and juicy. They grow from a seed pod that contains between 25 and 30 seeds (depending on variety).

These tiny seeds need warm temperatures to germinate, so they must be planted outdoors at least once every two years or until frost kills them off. The seeds will remain viable for up to four years if kept cool, but after that time they’ll start to rot away. Soaking the seeds in water before planting helps keep them alive longer.

Tangerines are native to South America and have been cultivated there since ancient times. Today, over 90% of all tangerines grown around the world come from just three countries: Mexico, Chile and Florida. The other 10% comes from India, Indonesia and Malaysia.

How To Plant A Tangerine Tree:

Planting a tangerine tree requires a little bit of planning. You’ll want to know what kind of soil your area has, where you live and even where you’re going to plant it. There’s no way around it; knowing where you’re going to plant is the first step in getting started.

Once you’ve got that figured out, then you can look into the different types of soil for your particular location.

Tangerine trees thrive in loose, well-drained soil that is high in organic matter. They don’t do so well in clay or sand because their roots can’t get the moisture and nutrients they need. For best results, you should use a starter fertilizer when you plant your tangerine tree because it will have the nutrients the tree needs until its own roots develop enough to do the job.

It’s best to plant your tangerine tree in an area that gets full sun. They don’t like the hot afternoon sun, but they do need a lot of sun through the day. If you’re growing them in pots, then they should be at least 18 inches wide to make sure they have enough soil to develop a good root system.

Sources & references used in this article:

Effect of foliar application of magnesium and micro-nutrients on growth, yield and fruit quality of mandarin orange (Citrus reticulata Blanco) by RA Ram, TK Bose – Indian journal of Horticulture, 2000 – indianjournals.com

Early-and mid-season temperature effects on the growth and composition of satsuma mandarins by KB Marsh, AC Richardson… – The Journal of Horticultural …, 1999 – Taylor & Francis

Phytotoxicity in mandarins caused by phosphorous acid by GE Walker – Australasian Plant Pathology, 1989 – Springer

Categories:

Tags:

Comments are closed