What Is Poison Ivy?
Poison Ivy (Symplocarpus spp.) is a plant that grows naturally all over the world. Its leaves are usually dark green or brownish red with white spots. They have no stems but they grow from underground roots which can reach up to 2 feet high! The plants produce small, round, black berries called thorns. These thorns may cause painful bites if touched or even cut into when they’re growing out of the ground!
How Does Poison Ivy Affect You?
If you live near a forested area where there are many poisonous plants, then poison ivy could affect your health. If you live in an urban environment, then it’s likely that poison ivy won’t bother you. However, if you have ever had any kind of allergic reaction to a plant or herb, then poison ivy might cause problems for you.
The symptoms of poisoning by poison ivy include:
Itching and burning sensations in the affected areas.
Swelling of the skin.
Redness, swelling, itching, pain or tenderness around the mouth and gums.
Nausea and vomiting.
Diarrhea or constipation.
Abdominal cramps and pain.
Headaches, dizziness or lightheadedness.
Fever and chills.
If you are allergic to poison ivy, then it is important to seek medical attention immediately. If you have developed severe blistering, then you should probably seek medical attention immediately.
Treating Poison Ivy:
The best way to treat poison ivy is to keep it away from you in the first place. If you are in an area where there are plants nearby, then it is best to wear protective clothing such as long sleeves and long pants. You can also carry an over-the-counter medicine that can help to ease your symptoms if you happen to come into contact with poison ivy.
Treating the rash is quite simple. It will go away on its own after a few weeks or so. However, to help make the symptoms disappear, you can take over-the-counter medicine to stop your itching and burning sensations. There are also other various creams that can ease your discomfort or even get rid of your rash altogether. If you have an extreme case of the poison ivy rash, then you should seek the help of a doctor immediately.
Poison ivy grows in almost every region of the world, so it’s important to stay away from it if you can!
How to Get Poison Ivy out of Your System
Even if you get rid of your poison ivy rash, you can still have the rash come back later on because the plant’s oils can stay on your skin for up to six months after coming into contact with it. So, you will need to make sure that you completely get rid of the oils that are embedded in your system.
Sources & references used in this article:
Poison ivy (Rhus) dermatitis: An experimental study by AM Kligman – AMA archives of dermatology, 1958 – jamanetwork.com
Occupational poison ivy and oak dermatitis by WL Epstein – Dermatologic clinics, 1994 – derm.theclinics.com
Toxicodendron dermatitis: poison ivy, oak, and sumac by AC Gladman – Wilderness & Environmental Medicine, 2006 – Elsevier
Poison ivy “urushiol” by WF Symes, CR Dawson – Journal of the American Chemical …, 1954 – ACS Publications
Oriental lacquer, poison ivy, and drying oils by O Vogl – Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 2000 – Wiley Online Library
Observations on poison ivy hypersensitiveness in guinea pigs. by FA Simon – Journal of Immunology, 1936 – cabdirect.org
Studies on the sensitization of animals with simple chemical compounds: VI. Experiments on the sensitization of guinea pigs to poison ivy by K Landsteiner, MW Chase – The Journal of experimental medicine, 1939 – rupress.org
Biomass and toxicity responses of poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) to elevated atmospheric CO2 by JE Mohan, LH Ziska, WH Schlesinger… – Proceedings of the …, 2006 – National Acad Sciences