Rosemary Tree For Christmas: How To Care For A Rosemary Christmas Tree
What Is A Rosemary Christmas Tree?
A rosemary tree is a decorative ornament made from the evergreen shrub known as rosemarsh or rosemarrow. They are traditionally decorated with white paper garlands, red ribbons, silver bells and other trimmings. They have been used since ancient times in religious ceremonies such as weddings and funerals.
The first mention of a rosemary Christmas tree appears in the 15th century poem “Christ’s Nativity” by William Tyndale. By the 16th century they were being used at church celebrations. Today, they are still popular decorations for Christmastime.
How Do You Grow A Rosemary Christmas Tree?
Growing a rosemary Christmas tree is easy! There are many varieties available to choose from. All you need is patience and some basic tools. Here’s what you’ll need:
• White paper garland (or ribbon) – You will use these to decorate your tree. These can be purchased at any craft store or online. You can also make them yourself using newspaper, tissue paper, and scissors.
• Red ribbon or string – You will use this to hang or tie your tree to a doorknob.
• Pruning clippers or scissors – The sharper the better!
• Container with bottom (if you’re planting the rosemary)
1. Carefully remove all of the lower branches from your rosemary shrub.
Try to keep the top at about 5 inches in diameter.
2. Place the rosemary in a container with drainage holes.
Add a layer of small rocks or pebbles and fill it 3/4 full with water.
3. Place your newly decorated rosemary tree in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
During the festive season, place it in a spot where it will get plenty of natural light!
4. Change the water every couple of days to keep it fresh.
5. Check it every now and then to make sure that the garland, bells, or other decorations are firmly attached.
Remove any fallen leaves or needles.
6. After the holidays are over, place your rosemary in a container or in the ground (if you live in an area with mild winters).
Keep the soil moist but not soggy and place it in a sunny location. Remember to water it every once in awhile!
Where Can I Get Rosemary Christmas Trees?
Traditionally, the most popular places to get a rosemary Christmas tree are your friends and family! If that’s not an option, try these local alternatives:
• Your local nursery or garden center
• Your local florist – Many florists sell potted rosemary plants during the Christmas season.
Remember that rosemary grows best outdoors, so if you buy one, make sure that it doesn’t come in a plastic container!
When Should I Decorate My Rosemary Christmas Tree?
The official day to decorate your rosemary Christmas tree is December 24th. However, you can start decorating it as soon as you get it! Start by choosing a place for it.
Sources & references used in this article:
Mechanical Shearing Device for Potted Rosemary Christmas Tree Topiaries by DF Warnock – HortTechnology, 2004 – journals.ashs.org
Use of dogs to reduce damage by deer to a white pine plantation by J Beringer, LP Hansen, RA Heinen… – Wildlife Society Bulletin …, 1994 – JSTOR
Mediaeval Plantsmanship in England: the Culture of Rosemary by JH Harvey – Garden History, 1972 – JSTOR
Christmas disease by R Biggs, RG Macfarlane – Postgraduate medical journal, 1962 – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
It’s Snowing The Camera Marches To War November With The World At War From Africa, 194.2 Roundel by …, MF Spot, AD Novel, AEW Past, P Oh, OC Tree… – digitalcommons.butler.edu