Types Of Dwarf Ornamental Grass – Tips For Growing Short Ornamentals
Dwarf Ornamental Grasses – Tips For Growing Short Ornamentals:
1) You need to plant dwarf ornamental grasses in the summertime.
If you don’t, they won’t grow properly. So, it is better if you start planting them now than waiting until next year when they will be too old to sprout up.
2) You need to keep your dwarf ornamental grasses watered all the time.
They require constant water so they will not die out.
3) You need to fertilize your dwarf ornamental grasses with regularity.
Fertilizing them every two weeks or even once a week is sufficient. But, you must make sure that you do not overdo it because excessive fertilizer use may cause your plants to become stunted and weak.
4) You need to provide plenty of light for your dwarf ornamental grasses.
They prefer bright sunlight. So, you should place a few pieces of glass or other transparent material near their borders so that they get enough sunlight.
5) You need to provide plenty of space around your dwarf ornamental grasses so that they can move freely without getting trampled down by others’ feet.
In case you need to separate them from the others, you can do so by placing some plastic or any other material that will create a barrier between them.
6) You need to trim the edges of your dwarf ornamental grasses.
This is an effective way of keeping them aesthetically appealing and orderly looking.
7) You need to divide your dwarf ornamental grasses once in a while (every two or three years).
This is very important because if you don’t do this, your plants will become overgrown and weak. It is necessary to divide your plants because if you leave them as they are, the crowded clumps of plants will get weak and “lazy” because they won’t be able to get enough sun and will become pale in color.
8) You need to remove dead or dying leaves from your dwarf ornamental grasses all the time.
If you don’t remove such leaves, they can cause the healthy parts to become weak too.
9) You need to trim the top of your dwarf ornamental grasses from time to time (once or twice a year).
Topping them means you should cut their stems so that they can grow better and stronger. This is an effective way of giving them some exercise because they won’t be able to reach their maximum height if you don’t do this.
10) You need to keep your dwarf ornamental grasses dry all the time. If they get wet all the time, they will weaken and eventually die.
11) You need to protect your dwarf ornamental grasses from strong gales and winds. If you fail to do so, they will definitely be uprooted eventually, which means death for them.
As you can see, dwarf ornamental grasses are not difficult to take care of. They just need some special attention and care. If you follow the tips in this article, you will definitely succeed and be able to grow some dwarfs that are truly beautiful to behold.
The dwarf Mondo Grass is the fastest spreading plant that you can have in your garden. It is easy to grow and its dark green color with white polka dots will look great anywhere in your yard or in your home.
The dwarf Mondo Grass is actually a type of Lillypad. This plant contains a sugary substance that can be harmful if ingested by small children or pets.
Sources & references used in this article:
Ornamental grasses and grasslike plants by AJ Oakes – 2012 – books.google.com
Taylor’s Guide to Ornamental Grasses by R Holmes – 1997 – books.google.com
Effects of media porosity and container size on overwintering and growth of ornamental grasses by MH Meyer, BA Cunliffe – HortScience, 2004 – journals.ashs.org
Ornamental grasses by C BACK – 1990 – newgarden.com
Tolerance of ornamental grasses to postemergence grass herbicides by J Hubbard, T Whitwell – HortScience, 1990 – journals.ashs.org