The following are some tips for growing sweet chestnut trees:
1) Plant your trees at least 6 feet apart.
If you plant them too close, they will not have enough room to spread their branches out.
2) Choose a location with good drainage so that the roots do not rot and die.
You want your tree to survive and thrive here!
3) Do not water your tree during winter months or when it snows heavily.
Instead, wait until spring when the ground is dry again.
4) Make sure you keep your tree watered regularly throughout its life.
Watering during winter months may cause the tree to freeze and die.
5) When choosing a site for your trees, look for one that has plenty of sunlight and lots of space around it.
A place where there are no other trees nearby would be ideal.
6) Try to choose a location away from roads and busy streets.
Trees need shade in summer months.
7) Avoid planting your trees near power lines because they could potentially damage the tree’s leaves.
8) When selecting a container, make sure it is sturdy and does not leak easily.
Plastic containers are best since they do not rot and do not corrode like wood ones do.
9) Make sure your container has plenty of drainage holes at the bottom.
10) When planting your sweet chestnut tree, you want to make sure that there is a one to two inch layer of mulch around the base of it. This will keep the soil moist and cool.
11) It is best to plant when temperatures are between 35 and 90 degrees. Try to avoid extreme heat or cold.
12) When digging a hole for your tree, make sure that the topsoil is removed and the bottom of the hole is filled with just plain, clay soil. This will ensure that the tree does not become waterlogged or have its roots rot.
13) If you want to save money on your trees, you can plant them in large pots and then transplant them into the ground when they are bigger. The main disadvantage of this is that you would need to carry a larger and heavier tree when you go to plant it.
These tips will help you get started. If you have more questions about growing sweet chestnut trees, contact a local nursery or ask an expert at the garden center.
They can give you more tips on caring for your tree. It is important that you care for your tree well because it will provide you fresh air, beauty, and shade in the years to come.
Stick around and learn more about chestnuttrees in our community forums. If you feel like contributing to our chestnut tree database, just login and start submitting!
Return To Home Page From European Chestnut Care
› Chestnut Tree Care
Sources & references used in this article:
The sweet chestnut throughout history from the Miocene to the third millennium by M Adua – II International Symposium on Chestnut 494, 1998 – actahort.org
Phytophthora cambivora causing ink disease of sweet chestnut recorded in the Czech Republic by K Černý, B Gregorová, V Strnadová… – Czech …, 2008 – researchgate.net
Growing chinese chestnuts in Missouri by K Hunt, M Gold, W Reid… – University of Missouri …, 2009 – researchgate.net
The yield of sweet chestnut coppice. by TJD Rollinson, J Evans – 1987 – cabdirect.org
Improving genetic transformation of European chestnut and cryopreservation of transgenic lines by E Corredoira, MC San-José, AM Vieitez… – Plant cell, tissue and …, 2007 – Springer