Sweet Pea Plant Symptoms & Effects:

The symptoms of the sweet potato plant include:

Itchy skin rash; itchy eyes; vomiting; diarrhea; fever, chills, muscle aches, headache, nausea and vomiting. If you have any of these symptoms, do not eat or drink anything containing sweet potatoes. Do not use your hands to pick them because they may cause infection.

Also avoid touching your face with your fingers because it could cause a rash too.

If you experience any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.

Can You Eat Sweet Peas? Are Sweet Pea Plants Toxic?

There are many opinions on whether or not sweet peas plants are toxic to dogs. Some say that they aren’t poisonous but others say that they can be dangerous. There is no way to tell which one is right without knowing all the facts first. So let’s take a look at some of the facts about sweet peas toxicity.

Sweet Pea Plant Poisoning: What Happens When Dogs Eat Them?

Dogs can get sick from ingesting certain plants even though they don’t usually show symptoms until after consuming them. But sometimes when animals consume something that isn’t supposed to be eaten, they may develop signs of illness before showing any symptoms. If your dog is displaying any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.

Signs of Poisoning: When a dog eats something that causes it to become sick, it is called poisoning. The most common symptoms of poisoning are vomiting and diarrhea. These usually happen within a few hours of eating the plants, but it could take days before you notice them.

Other symptoms of poisoning include excessive salivation, difficulty breathing, tremors, seizures, coma, and even death. Some plants can also cause a burning sensation in or around the mouth, excessive thirst, uncoordination, staggering, difficulty walking, blindness and shock.

What to Do: If you notice your dog eating something that isn’t supposed to be eaten, take the plant out of their reach and contact your veterinarian as soon as possible. If your dog has already been eating the plant for some time, don’t wait to see if they show signs of illness. Take them to the veterinarian immediately.

Some plants take longer for the toxin to build up in the system and cause illness, so it is better to be safe than sorry.

Sage: Sage is a common herb that you can grow in your garden. It has lobed, green leaves and purple flowers. Sage is a common flavoring in many dishes and also used in the treatment of many ailments including bad breath, indigestion, and mouth sores.

Can You Eat Sweet Peas – Are Sweet Pea Plants Toxic - Picture

It is toxic to dogs and cats, so keep it away from them. If they do ingest sage, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Signs of Poisoning: If your dog has ingested sage, you may notice some of the following symptoms:

Vomiting

Diarrhea

Salivation

Difficulty breathing

Seizures

Coma

If your dog is experiencing any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately.

What to Do: If your dog has ingested sage, you can try to give them something to absorb the poison out of their stomach. Some foods that are high in fat work to absorb the plant, so some examples would be:

Can You Eat Sweet Peas – Are Sweet Pea Plants Toxic | igrowplants.net

Cooked Nuts

Cooked Meat

Cream Cheese

Whipping Cream

Eat a little of one of these with your dog. Not enough to make them full, but enough that if they vomit, it wouldn’t hurt them. Wait 15 minutes and see if they vomit.

If they do, you may see some green material upchuck. After another 15 minutes, look at what was vomited and see if there is any trace of the sage.

Another way to help your dog throw up the poison (or anything else they’ve eaten) is to do the following:

Your vet may recommend a stronger acid to help open up your dogs stomach and get everything out. Once this happens, they should start to feel better within a few hours. However, they may still require medical treatment to ensure that no permanent damage has occurred.

Lilies: Lilies are beautiful flowers that can be white, yellow, orange, or red. They have a variety of shapes such as trumpets, bells, and common pansies. They are often used in weddings due to their beauty.

However, they are very poisonous to both cats and dogs.

The most common type of lily is the tiger lily. This is also the most poisonous. Even the bulbs can be toxic.

While most lilies are toxic, there are some varieties that can be eaten cooked or raw. These varieties also do not have any toxic effects on cats or dogs.

Sources & references used in this article:

… Value of Some Legumes. Lathyrism in the Rat. The Sweet Pea (Lathyrus Odoratus), Lathyrus Sativus, Lathyrus Cicera and Some Other Species of Lathyrus: One … by HB Lewis, RS Fajans, MB Esterer… – The Journal of …, 1948 – academic.oup.com

Toxicity of smoke by LI Knight, W Crocker – Botanical Gazette, 1913 – journals.uchicago.edu

In Vitro Production of Sweet Peas (Lathyrus odoratus L.) via Axillary Shoots by SJ Ochatt, C Conreux, L Jacas – … In Vitro Propagation of Ornamental Plants, 2010 – Springer

Iproniazid and experimental lathyrism. by K Juva, L Mikkonen, T Tuominen, E Kulonen – Experientia, 1959 – cabdirect.org

Categories:

Tags:

Comments are closed